Friday, July 20, 2012

Where to eat in Cagayan de Oro City

I would not make a good food blogger. To put it bluntly, I didn't know enough adjectives for foods or the restaurant's ambience. The most that you could possibly read in my posts would be the likes of "it melts in your mouth but not in your hands", or "it was bursting with flavor". That would probably be it, along with "the food is good, the food is not good, it is expensive, it is cheap". 

But whenever I was assigned to an out-of-town work, the first thing that would come to my mind was to find the right places to eat and the best choice of food. And there weren't a lot of help offered by the internet because mostly, the reviews were restaurant-specific, not geographical. Of late, I had been given out of town field works in the office that required me to stay overnight, I figured it would be nice to do a recommendation where to eat in the provinces that I would be assigned to. To me, food choices were subjective. What might be palatable to me might not appear the same to another. So I would feature the restaurants that I had visited and you could just look at the menu for yourselves. Or you could try what I ordered and proceed at your own risk. After all, food choices for me had always been a series of hit or miss.

Let me begin this series with my gastronomical experience in Cagayan de Oro City.

La Tegola Cucina Italia
They call these focaccia. I thought focaccia was a rather thick bread where you could put spread on, but these were very thin-sliced crispy bread. It was so good and the best thing about it was - it's a complimentary appetizer -- so they could call it  aso and I wouldn't mind at all. 

 PIZZA VERA

Mozarella Cheese, tomato sauce, ground sausage, fresh tomato and herbs.
Price: P280
Good for sharing - but since I was alone, I had the left-over travelled all the way from CDO to Manila for the husband.
Definitely a hit!



SPAGHETTI AL CARTOCCIO
Spaghetti Pasta with assorted seafoods, tomato sauce, wrapped in aluminum foil and baked in oven.
Price: P280
Just okay.

I ended my Italian feast with Pistachio flavored gelatto. I found it hard to stand up after because I gobbled up more than my body could carry. The next time I would be in CDO, I would definitely go back for more Italian lovin!

La Tegola Cucina Italia is located at #05 Rizal St., Gaston Park, Cagayan de Oro City. They also have several branches in Cebu City.

 La Vetta - Great French
 
If you're in the mood for some exquisite French cuisine, La Vetta might just be the right restaurant for you.

BEEF CARPACCIO
These are razor-thin slices of raw tenderloin beef drizzled with olive oil and topped with aged manchego.
Price: P195
Hit - but I thought my blood pressure shoot up after I downed all that raw beef!

MARINARA
Seafood treat of squid, mussels, shrimps and scallops in tomato sauce.
Price: P275
Hit - One of the best pastas I've ever tasted - with just the freshest seafood.

La Vetta Restaurant is located at Rosario Arcade, right beside Limketkai Mall.

Vienna Kaffehaus
  
BRUSCHETTA
Chopped tomatoes with garlic, basil, olive oil and parmesan cheese served on bread. 
Price: P85, if I remember it right?
Miss :( The tomatoes were not so fresh, and the taste left much to be desired.
BABY BACK RIBS
Tender meat which falls right off the bone - baked in the oven and then grilled to perfection. Very generous sauce.
Price: P200
Hit!

 Vienna Kaffehaus is located at #54 Don A. Velez-Chavez St., Cagayan de Oro City. 

Cagayan de Oro would not be tagged as the City of Golden Friendship for nothing. The people there were nice and accommodating. I felt safe roaming around the city streets, walking aimlessly at the Cogon Public Market, and taking public transportation (jeepney, multi-cabs, tricycle). By the way, please don't judge my appetite. Being a nursing momma, I kept on going back to the hotel to express milk. So that would explain the appetite.

'Til the next fieldwork!


6 comments:

  1. Those all look so good! Now I know where you went when you said out of town haha :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anne! Yup I was in CDO that time, and the signal was too bad :( Thanks for helping me out on that third article :)

      Delete
  2. We were in CDO last June, well, in transit to Camiguin. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But you didn't stay in CDO for long? I love CDO, ang relaxed lang ng atmosphere. I'd love to go to Camiguin also. Haven't been there!

      Delete
  3. Too bad La Tegola Cucina Italia is now closed. There are new you places to eat food in Cagayan de Oro whenever you can visit again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These were quite the treat. The itself no filter needed is just exquisite. If you're a foodie lover like me. Here's a list of places with the right amount deliciousness around CDO

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...