Friday, February 24, 2012

Going Bananas!

It's Zohan's second week on solid foods, and as promised, I shall try to document the foods that we introduce to him for the first month in order to help other clueless mothers out there with what to give their babies.

I was actually thinking of potatoes for his vegetable requirement this second week. It's a good thing that I came across momtastic's wholesome babyfood site. I tell you, it's like a bottomless pit of information about everything you need to know about solid food for babies. It's got a chart of the proper foods for the different ages of babies, amazing recipes so that your babies won't get bored with their daily food, proper storage and handling of prepared foods, and a whole lot more. Here, I share with you the solid food chart for babies aged six to eight months.

 
Photo source

I searched for the nutritional contents of potatoes on the site, and I learned that, "[d]ue to their lower level of important nutrients and a high amount of starchy carbohydrates, it would best to keep white potatoes out of baby's diet until between 8-10 months of age." It pays to read up, right?

Another information that I learned from the site is that instead of waiting for an entire week before introducing another food, you can follow the "four-day-wait" rule instead. In fact, most pediatricians now suggest that instead of waiting for four days, "..babies may be introduced to a variety of foods, all at once, even during the first days of introducing solid foods. The thought is that offering a wider variety of tastes and textures, early and often, will get baby’s tastebuds excited and 'trained' to enjoy flavors of all types.  Offering a larger variety sooner, such as serving 4 new foods during a 2 or 4 day span, rather than later may just give baby the willingness and curiosity to try anything and everything put in front of him." I think I am more inclined to the idea of wider variety of tastes and textures, since Tatay and I do not have a history of allergies anyway. 

After ditching the potatoes idea, I voted on the squash for the vegetable requirement and bananas for the fruit requirement. I would have wanted avocado which is the recommended first food for babies, but since it's out of season, I think banana would be fine.
"Bananas are an excellent source of nutrition and as such, are another perfect fruit to be one of baby's first foods. Bananas are often called one of nature's perfect foods because they are said to contain many of the nutrients that a person needs to survive. One of the most important nutritional components of Bananas is that they contain potassium and fiber. Bananas are also high in Vitamin B6, Vitamin C and Vitamin B2."
For lunch, I mashed a banana and added a few drops of breastmilk:


Look at how eager he is to munch on those smashed bananas. 


And as he gets closer to that first taste...

 

Awwww... wawa :( Apparently, he is not a big banana fan!

We didn't insist the banana to him for fear that he might be stressed out and associate eating to a harrowing experience. I had to switch back to his Earth's Best brown rice cereal for his lunch. Tomorrow, we shall try squash, and hopefully, I could share with you much happier photos!

UPDATE: To know what happened to the squash experiment, click here.

References:
Those enclosed in quotation marks are not my words. They were taken from this site.

2 comments:

  1. The four day rule seems logical to do! Can't wait to feed my Z! Thanks for the website! Will read on as I'm still clueless how to go about it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup it's a good rule to follow if you're keen on allergies =) I hope Zoren will have a blast with solid food soon!

      Delete

I would love to hear your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...